Monday, June 25, 2012

BO is sleeping on the couch tonight...


I don't know if the President is aware or not, but these fun little ice cream treats are a no no according to Mamma Obama.  The First Lady's diet program, Let's Move, is not a plan for after the election though I can remain hopeful, but is her plan to combat childhood obesity with exercise and nutrition.  While I support the idea of better nutrition and more exercise for children, I guess my attitude is less monolithic than using the federal government to push my plan to help in these areas.

While the First Lady believes, food deserts are the cause of the problem, i.e. communities that don't have access to vitamin reinforced fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, I will note that even my friends at the New York Times don't find a link between obesity and food deserts.  What?  How can this be?

Perhaps it's because some folks prefer something sweet, full of high fructose corn syrup to apples, bananas, and pears.  It's called choice and before you talk about having to pay for their healthcare when they get sick, you guessed it, I'm in favor of paying for what you use.  If I want to pay for someone else's health care I have lots of charitable options open to me like contributing time or money to the ALS Assocation, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, or Catholic Charities.

That's right.  I am more than willing to be generous, but I dont need you spending my money for me.  Just like I wont tell you not to eat ice cream or what flavor to get.  Fair?


No comments:

Post a Comment